19990131: combining ship and surface files

>From: Robert Ballentine <address@hidden>

>Steve:
>   Thanks for the help with sflist.  Using your suggestions, I was able to
>change the format from f8.2 to f7.2 which made it possible to list eight
>fields on the same line in the output of sflist.
>   Now I would like to improve my analysis of pmsl by using oabsfc on both
>the surface observations from for example, the file 990201.sf and the buoy
>data from the file 990201.sb.  Is it possible to set up oabsfc (or perhaps
>another program) so that it will construct the objective analysis using both
>the metar data from the .sf file and the buoy data from the .sb file?  I
>want to make use of the buoy data to make the analysis more accurate along
>and just off the Gulf coast and Atlantic coast.
>   Thanks,
>   Bob Ballentine

Bob,

You need to combine the surface and ship/buoy data together into a
single surface file, then run OABSFC on this combined file.
In order to accomodate both surface metar stations and buoy data,
the combined file will have to be of type SHIP. Set timstn to
1/9999 (creates the largest possible ship file - times and
stations are a single column in ship files).

Using sfcfil:
 SFOUTF   = test.gem
 SFPRMF   = pmsl
 STNFIL   =
 SHIPFL   = y
 TIMSTN   = 1/9999
 SFFSRC   =
 GEMPAK-SFCFIL>r

Then, use sflist to dump out the separate files to edit files,
using slat;slon and whatever parameters are needed. You must
have slat and slon for the input to the ship file:
 SFFILE   = 990131_sb.gem
 AREA     = dset
 DATTIM   = 1200
 SFPARM   = slat;slon;pmsl
 OUTPUT   = f/ship.fil
 IDNTYP   = STID
 GEMPAK-SFLIST>r

 SFFILE   = 990131_sao.gem
 AREA     = dset
 DATTIM   = 1200
 SFPARM   = slat;slon;pmsl
 OUTPUT   = f/sfc.fil
 IDNTYP   = STID
 GEMPAK-SFLIST>r

Now read in the two data sets into the new file:
 SFEFIL   = ship.fil
 SFFILE   = test.gem
 GEMPAK-SFEDIT>r

 SFEFIL   = sfc.fil
 SFFILE   = test.gem
 GEMPAK-SFEDIT>r

Now you can use oabsfc on the combined file.

Steve Chiswell