19990127: Question regarding AREA file display

Dan,

I do not know about your data sets.
GEMPAK reads the projection information from the AREA file,
so it is not required that they be in native satellite
projections. For instance, we have several images
which are displayed in Mercator and Polar steareographic projections.
Perhaps your data is in some other projection that GEMPAK
doesn't know about with respect to AREA files. For
instance, I don't think Lambert is supported for AREA files
though it is for GINI files.

Jim Cowie at COMET has done a lot of the work on the imar2gm.f
routine which handles the projection or AREA files. Maybe he
can shed some light.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support