19990122: dchrly

Frank,

You may need to ensure that you are indeed running a csh and not
a ksh, sh, bash, or some other shell. File redirection in
different shells uses different methods, however if your
command line looks like:
cat raw_metar.file | dchrly etc.
then the piping should not be affected by the shell interpretation
of the "<" character.

at your command prompt, typing echo $SHELL shoule respond /bin/csh.
Then, if you are running acsh, you should also verify that the first
line of your comm script is:
#/bin/csh

Without the above first line, the comm script will be executed
using sh instead of csh. Typing "csh comm" will force the
script to be executed by csh.

Feel free to send me anything you have in a script for me to
look at.

Steve Chiswell