Re: Addition of 0.5 degree GFS hours, RUC GRIB2

On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 14:36 -0700, Harry Edmon wrote:
> I have noticed some differences in the new file names versus what is on
> your web page:
>
> 1. GFS:  For the 18Z run it appears there are only two digits in the
> forecast hour in the name:
>
>     gfs.tHHz.pgrbfFF  instead of gfs.tHHz.pgrbfFFF

NCEP doesn't prepend the leading 0 in the forecast hour, so it goes to
FFF at 102 hours (otherwise it is just FF). I'll update the web page to
clarify that.

> 2. RUC: The initialization hour is not in the name like it is in the GFS:
>
>     .../prod/ruc2a.YYYYMMDD versus
>     .../prod/gfs.YYYYMMDDHH
>
> Also the forecast hour is two digits just like the 18Z GFS.  Are these
> both permanent?

Yes, the RUC files are in daily directories on the ftpprd.ncep.noaa.gov
server. You can consistently key on the initialization hour in the
\.t(..)z\. field, but not in the
directory name.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support