[Support #SGO-889544]: AWIPS II in a Virtual Environment (VM)

Hi there,

> We currently utilize McIDAS as our primary visualization system but want to
> set up a VM
> AWIPS system so our weather personnel can evaluate AWIPS II.
>
> If you have time, we would like Unidata's advice on how to proceed and on a
> few other
> question to include if Unidata offers software installation services on a VM,
> VM resource
> requirements, ...
> If possible, we'd like to set up a meeting with Unidata to discuss the
> ability to host

Sorry for the delayed response, this is just now coming to our attention.
We currently offer free downloads of CAVE (AWIPS' client-side visualization
software) available
on CentOS7, Windows, MacOS, and VMWare Player Virtual Machine download
installation options:
https://unidata.github.io/awips2/install/install-cave/

We also host a free, public EDEX with national data coverage, which our CAVE
installation points
to by default, at edex-cloud.unidata.ucar.edu

Have you installed CAVE before?  When you say virtual machine, are you meaning
a desktop VM? If
so, that is what we offer here:
https://unidata.github.io/awips2/install/install-cave/#method-2-linux-virtual-machine
using another free software, VMWare Workstation Player.  VMWare Workstation
Player can be run
on both Windows and CentOS.

Did you have other questions we could answer? If you would like more resources
about our offering
of AWIPS, please check out our Educational Resources page:
https://unidata.github.io/awips2/appendix/educational-resources/

We have a few online tutorial courses that explain some of the key features and
functionalities
of both CAVE and python-awips.  We also publish a blog every two weeks called
AWIPS Tips which is
dedicated to various topics surrounding our version of AWIPS -- those are all
listed and available
on the resources page as well.

Let us know if you have other questions.
Thanks.

--Shay Carter

She/Her/Hers
AWIPS Software Engineer
NSF Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: SGO-889544
Department: Support AWIPS
NOTE: All email exchanges with NSF Unidata User Support are recorded in the
Unidata inquiry tracking system and then made publicly available through the
web.  If you do not want to have your interactions made available in this way,
you must let us know in each email you send to us.