[AWIPS #MHV-312997]: Models on MacOS Issue

Hi there,

> Sorry your reply did end up in my spam box.. :-(
>> When you say "it does not seem to be server dependent", which servers have
>> you tested it with?
>> Can you tell me what version of MacOS you're running?  Have you ever had a
>> previous version of CAVE installed
>> on this machine with which you were successfully able to display model data?
>
> Actually, I'm mistaken.  I have always been using
> edex-cloud.unidata.ucar.edu.  I guess I was only playing with
> the localization.  I'm not sure how to change the main server to a different
> address.  I'm running Mac OS 14.1.1,
> and my upgrading to this latest OS may have been the start of the this
> problem.  This problem did occur with an
> earlier version of CAVE (that used to run fine) which is why I upgraded to
> the latest version of CAVE.
>> Does this issue also occur if you try and use the Volume Browser or Product
>> Browser to load model data?
>
> It seems to.  Using the Volume Browser, picking NAM40 and Heights, nothing
> shows in the lower window to pick a
> specific product. Is there a log file or config file I can change to help me
> get a better handle on this?  ( My
> wild guess is it's a Python problem... )
> Thanks for any help

You are the second user that has reported this similar (maybe same) issue with
MacOS v14. Can you open alertview
(CAVE menu > Open AlertView) and then try to load a model product? If you see
any new errors pop up in alertview
can you click on them to expand the messages and then send me that text in a
file?

Are you able to load other kinds of products (satellite images, surface obs,
warnings, etc)?

I'm leaning towards something changed (maybe to do with python) in MacOS v14,
and that's causing our issues.
Unfortunately, at the moment I don't have a test machine on MacOS 14 yet.

--Shay Carter

She/Her/Hers
AWIPS Software Engineer
NSF Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: MHV-312997
Department: Support AWIPS
NOTE: All email exchanges with NSF Unidata User Support are recorded in the
Unidata inquiry tracking system and then made publicly available through the
web.  If you do not want to have your interactions made available in this way,
you must let us know in each email you send to us.