[AWIPS #WJL-121083]: Cave "Could not find valid extension for class": errors

Hi David,

> Thanks for getting back so quickly. Our machines have Nvidia GTX1650 cards.
> However, I found
> that they are using the nouveau driver instead of the Nvidia driver. I also
> found out that they
> use the nouveau driver because the Nvidia driver freezes the system. This is
> something I will
> work with our IT people about. So go ahead and close this ticket. At least
> the windows Cave
> version woks!

I don't know if it's helpful, but we are running a CentOS7 machine that has
CAVE on it, and
everything works well.

I believe we are running an NVIDIA driver for the NVIDIA chip. I don't know if
maybe the version
is slightly different than what you're running, but here's the output from our
machine, if it's
helpful to your IT at all, from running `lspci -k | grep -3 'VGA'

83:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK208B [GeForce GT 710]
(rev a1)
        Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] Device 8c93
        Kernel driver in use: nvidia
        Kernel modules: nouveau, nvidia_drm, nvidia

I hope they're able to figure out the driver issues, because then all of your
machines should
work well with CAVE.

Best of luck!
--Shay Carter

She/Her/Hers
AWIPS Software Engineer
UCAR - Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: WJL-121083
Department: Support AWIPS
NOTE: All email exchanges with NSF Unidata User Support are recorded in the
Unidata inquiry tracking system and then made publicly available through the
web.  If you do not want to have your interactions made available in this way,
you must let us know in each email you send to us.