[AWIPS #NDX-973698]: Cave on RHEL 9

Hey Gyorgyi,

> Thank you so much for testing RHEL9.

Unfortunately, we still haven't had much success getting v20 CAVE to run on a
Rocky9
machine...but we may need to spend more time getting the NVIDIA drivers
installed
properly, and that *may* fix our issue.

If you already have a RHEL9 machine to test with, you could also potentially
install
v20 CAVE and see how it ends up working for you, and let us know?

> We haven't migrated the computer lab to RHEL9 yet.
> We are deciding between RHEL9 and Windows currently.

I would definitely recommend getting one of each and installing v18 CAVE and
test them
both to compare the performance of CAVE on the two different operating systems.
 The
Windows may be noticeably slower.

> We are leaning towards Windows at the moment. You not being able to support
> RHEL 9
> right now is definitely a big factor. I will get a RHEL9 machine and a
> Windows machine
> ready for the faculty to test.

Yes, this should be high priority to help make the decision between OS's. Let
us know if/
when someone is able to test CAVE on both?

> I will be out of the country between Jul 10th to Aug. 1. Because of that I
> was asked to
> deliver a decision before July 10th. IT leadership wants every lab ready by
> Aug 1st.
> So, definitely not later than that we have to make a final decision.

I hope you enjoy your holiday! It's a great time of year to take a vacation.

> I think I got CAVE 18 working on RHEL 9 by creating a libg2c link to libf2c.
> It did not seem to break anything I tested, but I just tested the trivial
> things.
> I used the dkms version of the proprietary Nvidia driver.
> I would love to hear about your experience once you have a chance to test
> RHEL 9.

This seems promising.  As of right now when we test CAVE v20 on RHEL9 (Rocky9)
we get
some pretty internal errors related to drawing, and then the application closes.

> The servers can stay CentOS7 for now.

Okay, this is good.

> My question about the server was if your edex server was a upstream of my
> server?
> So, when you switch your 'production' server to version 20 will my version 18
> server
> brake unless I update to 20?

Okay, I understand now.  Your EDEX server is not in any way related to our EDEX
server.
It is pulling data from our IDD (Data distribution) LDM.  But nothing else we
have
interacts with your servers.  So, you don't have any worry there.

The only thing that does affect you, is our support for CAVE.  Currently, our
production
version of CAVE is still v18, which is in line with your EDEX servers.  We're
hoping to
make v20 our production release sometime around the end of the year.  If that's
the case
it should line up with your school winter break, and we would work with you to
upgrade
your servers from v18 to v20, and then all your lab machines would need to
upgrade CAVE
from v18 to v20.

Does that make sense?

> Fun fact about Rocky 9. I was told that Red Hat closed the code of RHEL a few
> days ago,
> and the community including Rocky 9, is trying to figure out again which way
> to go.

We did also just learn about this recently too.  I don't think we've come up
with any kind
of decision at the moment.  Not great news though...

> Thank you so much for your support as always.

Of course! We're glad to help as much as we can!

--Shay Carter

She/Her/Hers
AWIPS Software Engineer
UCAR - Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: NDX-973698
Department: Support AWIPS