[AWIPS #NDX-973698]: Cave on RHEL 9

> Hello,
>
> I am back from travel.
>
> Faculty and IT management decided to go with Windows.
>
> The main reason  is the lack of support of CAVE for RHEL9 ( or 8), and
> version 20 does not work on RHEL 9 yet, and McIdas V is crashing the
> graphical interface when closed properly on RHEL9. According to their webpage
> it is a mesa driver issue. I had no time to deal with it before travel.
> I also could not guarantee that a later RHEL 9 update will not break my fixes.
>

> I had to change some things to install CAVE to a central location in order to
> avoid firewall issues for each of the users, but I made it work.
>

> Our instructors have compared Cave version 18 on RHEL9 and Windows. You were
> right Windows version is very noticeably slower. One of our professors thinks
> it will be fine and the bottle neck still will be 25 or 50  students
> requesting the same thing from the server all at once.
> The other is planing to use the VM version. That is also faster than the
> native Windows version.
>
> So, this is the state of the lab right now.
>
> Thank you,

Hi,

Thank you for providing us an update on what your Faculty and IT management
decided on.

Glad you have a solution going forward for this semester. I agree the VM
version is much faster so that is an option if Windows proves to be too slow.

Thanks,

Tiffany Meyer
AWIPS Lead Software Engineer
UCAR-Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: NDX-973698
Department: Support AWIPS