[AWIPS #NDX-973698]: Cave on RHEL 9

Hi Gyorgyi,

I can see the IT departments reasoning for upgrading OS's.  Unfortunately, for
AWIPS, we only currently
support RHEL7, and do not plan on offering support for RHEL9 any time in the
near future.  We will
transition to RHEL8 at some point next year.

There is absolutely no reason to believe Raytheon would skip RHEL8 either,
since they are very systemic
in their approach and development style.

We also do not have a RHEL9 system to even test on, and have been unsuccessful
in creating a virtual
machine to use for testing CAVE.

If you upgrade all your machines to RHEL9, we cannot guarantee AWIPS will be
supported.  If you are able
to test a RHEL9 machine with CAVE using either your current EDEX (running on
RHEL7) or our EDEX, then
you might be able to find and fix any minor problems.  But, I would certainly
not upgrade the EDEX machines,
especially since they're servers, and won't be running any of that software you
mentioned (chrome) to
be viewed as a security risk.

I'm sorry we don't have better news at the moment. Let me know if you think
your IT department would be
willing to work with you on the OS matter?

Thanks.

--Shay Carter

She/Her/Hers
AWIPS Software Engineer
UCAR - Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: NDX-973698
Department: Support AWIPS