Re: [galeon] [CF-NetCDF-1.0.swg] CF-netCDF SWG Session Summary:Sept 2011 TC Meeting

Hi Jon, all,

I guess "baptizing" something with a specific MIME is mainly a matter of
convenience (in case of MS Word, maybe even of a touch of marketing: in fact
.docx is still binary, actually a zip archive).
I argue that the change from netCDF3 to 4 is quite radical, from the
application/user point of view, as it impacts on what libraries/tools one
should use, so I wouldn't object to having this captured in the mime.
But I agree that a single mime for netCDF is more elegant and applications can
live with it.

However, I maintain that having the version information, as well as the
conventions in use, in (optional) parameters is a useful and inexpensive
mechanism for facilitating data interchange on the web, especially when we
generalize the assumption that everybody will use the same libraries for netCDF
handling.

I see benefits from this in service composition scenarios, the Model Web,
distributed processing, Linked Data approaches, etc.
The whole thing is reminiscent of the rationale behind the optional "charset"
parameter for the XML mime type (see
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3023#section-3.2, pg. 9)

A specific application may always add its own parameters to the netCDF mime,
but of course agreeing on standard names and semantics is always good :-)