Re: [galeon] [CF-NetCDF-1.0.swg] CF-netCDF SWG Session Summary:Sept 2011 TC Meeting

Hi all,

Can someone describe a scenario where having the version information (e.g.,
netcdf3 or netcdf4) somewhere in the mime type would make a difference for a
client?   If one is using the latest netCDF libraries, they should be able
to deal with either.   If one has an older client using an older version of
the library, then presumably the client application would not be aware of
mime-types and would not know what netcdf4 means anysay.  If the client is
doing a protocol negotiation, e.g., WCS, it would seem that the
describeCoverage interaction would be where the netcdf3 - netcdf4
distinction would be important so the client would know whether it really
wants to do the getCoverage at all.

I'm struggling a bit to visualize a use case where the client would make use
of the version information in the mime-type.

-- Ben