Re: [galeon] CF-netCDF SWG Session Summary: Sept 2011 TC Meeting

Hi all,

On 13/10/11 18:06, jgallagher@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
+1 for x-netcdf with an optional conventions attribute

Just to note that the x- prefix is for mimetypes that are not registered with IANA. So if we are talking about what to register we should be talking about application/netcdf or application/netcdf-3 (or 4) without the x-.

My preference would be to make a distinction between NetCDF3 and NetCDF4 filetypes as they require different tools to read them (or at least the tools must be linked to different libraries). Some clients might wish to express a preference in the HTTP Accept header about which format they get back for a particular resource (if there is an option).

You could extend this argument to the conventions but that might be getting impractical - I agree with the use of optional parameters there, although not sure how much they are used in practice for mime-type negotiation?

Regards,

Dom

--
Scanned by iCritical.