Re: [galeon] [WCS-1.2.swg] OGC Asynchronous responses

Steve and Aron,

Some time ago, in the GALEON framework we
discussed about a WCS RFC to: 1) Enable Grid
Computing support of Access Services; 2) Support
of long time processing; 3) Support redirection and ?shared access?.

In order to support this request, we prepared a
discussion paper: I attached the draft document
hoping it could be useful for the present discussion.

Best,

Stefano

Aaron:
Good synopsis.  I differ with your definitions
but only very slightly.  Here's my attempt at defining the terminology.

But first:
Putting a definition on the term ?asynchronous?
without stating ?what? is asynchronous is
pointless because it is too abstract.  Its
definition from answers.com is ?Lack of temporal
concurrence; absence of synchronism? which is meaningless out of context.

So what are WE talking about when discussing
asynchronous - believe we mean ?asynchronous
result to an OWS request?.  Notice I didn't say
asynchronous response.  The reason is that I
don't want to confuse the HTTP response (which
is always synchronous) with the actual result
from a request.  In the past we used result and
response interchangeably because they always coincided.

Client: originator of a request.
Server: handler of a request.

There first two definitions (client and server)
are here only to help clarify the next
definitions since a client becomes a server when dealing with pushed
results.

Result: the data generated by a server due to a
request from a client.  This definition does not
imply synchronous or asynchronous.

Asynchronous result: a result made available at
an indeterminate time after reception of an
asynchronous request.  This definition does not
necessarily imply polling, pushing, or notification.

Asynchronous request: a request which produces an asynchronous result.

Polling: is a client actively sampling (using
synchronous requests and responses) for the result status.

Pushing:  is where the transmission of something
originates with the server.  The client waits
for the server to send it something.

Notification:  Let me define it as: a server
pushing a result status to a client.  Personally
I see notification and push as being the same
but I'm hearing others here say that
notification does not actually send the
asynchronous result but simply sends a simple
result status stating that the result is ready.

Pushed result:  is where the asynchronous result
is pushed by the server to the client.

Result status: the current status of an
asynchronous result: ready, completed, processing, not started, etc.

Response: one of many possible messages when replying to a request.

Synchronous response: a single message
immediately returned by a server in response to a synchronous request.

Acknowledgement:  Synchronous response
acknowledging reception of an asynchronous request.

Persistent query: a client makes a query and
marks it as ongoing or "persistent".  When the
conditions of the persistent part of the query
are satisfied asynchronous result are
generated.  A simple example would be asking for
temperature information for the area of Texas
from yesterday to the end of next
week.  Whenever new temperature information
became available to the server, it would be sent
to the client or the client would be
notified.  When the server notices that the end
of next week has arrived, it invalidates or discards the query.

Cheers
--
Steven Keens