Re: [galeon] WCS CF-netCDF profile document

Hi all,
This thread has been one of the most fun and informative GALEON discussions
for me to date.  But because it has covered so many important topics, I fear
we may some of them may fall through the cracks in the wide-ranging
conversation.  So here's my attempt at the short list of key topics that
would benefit from continued discussion -- probably in separate threads:

1. WCS-netCDF extension standard.
As the subject of the email indicates, the main topic that got this going is
the WCS CF-netCDF profile document.  As I see it, the main issue here is how
to incorporate an OPeNDAP option.  I sense agreement that there should be an
OPeNDAP option in WCS, but it could be done in terms of a small addition to
the proposed CF-netCDF extension standard or it could be done as a separate
extension spec that leverages and builds on the CF-netCDF proposal.
To me, this is still the top priority issue and it would be good if it could
be resolved so the resulting WCS extension standard(s?) can be formally
submitted to the WCS1.2.SWG before the next OGC TC meeting which is the
first week in December.

2. Non-gridded coverages.
The issue here is what we do in both the CF community AND the OGC community
about the types of data that do not fit the current WCS definition of
regular grids.  This includes the types of datasets (and collections
thereof) that have been listed and discussed as CDM (Common Data Model)
scientific data types and as CSML scientific feature types.   I put this as
the second highest priority because it encompasses important work for both
communities:
-- the CF community must extend the conventions to include these data types
-- with special care to explicitly Coordinate Reference System (CRS)
information whereas
-- the OGC community has to come to grips the fact that these data types can
be seen as features and/or coverages and that some harmonization -- or at
least better understanding -- is needed among alternative delivery protocols
(WFS, WCS, SOS, WMS?).
I'd will attempt to spawn separate discussions of these issues because the
CF work should be undertaken sooner rather than later and the OGC issues are
on the agenda for the December TC meeting in a special joint session the
afternoon of Monday Dec. 1.

3. WCS Core and Extensions.
A couple topics have come up here.  One is the more general question of
whether there is anything in the current WCS 1.2 draft that prevents the
GALEON community from addressing its standardization needs in the extension
standard(s) for CF-neCDF (with an OPeNDAP option either as a part of the
CF-netCDF extension or as a separate extension standard built on the
CF-netCDF foundation).  The second issue that came up in the email
discussion is more specific: namely whether having the WCS 1.2 core include
only 2D coverages is an obstacle to the service of 4D FES (metocean) data to
the traditional GIS community.  In this regard, it has been noted that,
while the current draft WCS 1.2 core spec allows clients to be compliant
even though they cannot work with 3D or 4D datasets, forcing those clients
to deal with a 4D WCS would not mean that they would be able to analyze and
display those datasets.  On the other hand, any client developer whose user
community is interest in GALEON 4D datasets would implement the CF-netCDF
extension.  I plan to start a separate email discussion on this topic to
give people a chance to respond to my obvious prejudice.

4. The Need for Catalog Services.
This was really only touched on in the discussion thread, but I think it
warrants an item in this list because the discussion of a wider variety of
data types along with the possibility of multiple access protocols (WMS,
WCS, SOS) places additional emphasis on the importance of standards-based
catalog services (CS-W) which was one of the issues that the GALEON phase 1
brought out.    Getting CS-W discovery systems working together with WCS (or
other OGC) access systems is a substantial interoperability challenge when
the clients and servers are developed independently.   This item is mainly
just a reminder that more thought and experimentation is needed in this
area.

Please speak up if I've missed important issues in this list.

-- Ben

Wright, Bruce wrote:

Hi Peter,

I think this 'features vs. coverages' (or WFS vs. WCS) is an interesting
issue; I've seen a number of different, but not necessarily exclusive,
viewpoints:

1. Coverages and features are different...WFS and WCS evolved as two
distinct services to meet different requirements for accessing data and
metadata.

2. A coverage is a feature...features and coverages are different
'cross-sections' through the information - Simon Cox presents this
nicely by considering the information as tabular, with a row represents
a feature (a series of individual property values) and a column
representing a coverage (different values of the same property) - and
the WFS and WCS should be harmonised.

3. A feature is a coverage...coverages are already effectively being
encoded in GML for some WFS requests that need to return the variation
of a set of parameters over space/time (normally small data volumes);
again, this suggests that the WFS and WCS should be harmonised.

4. Coverage is a property of a feature... WCS is a convenience
interface, which should eventually replaced by an enhanced WFS, which
adds a GetCoverage request (or an OPeNDAP request!)

Personally, I think these are all true to some extent (not sure 3. above
is a good thing though!). However, which viewpoint you take determines
how you develop and implement these web services going forward (e.g. my
explicit 'conclusion' on 4. above!).

Regards,
Bruce