Re: [galeon] WCS CF-netCDF profile document

Hi Peter,

You wrote:

...and then you are right in that the terms coverage and feature are not really
clearly
distinct in their meaning. Up to now we occasionally heard voices stating that
"coverages are features". Now, true, but what does this help us in practice?
Some people
start encoding coverages in GML which I find not the best of all possible ideas
when it
comes to a generic (n-D) solution.

Now you are AFAIK the first one to state that the inverse holds as well:
"features are coverages, sort of". A remarkable point in history! ;-)
Seriously, I believe
that when it comes to border cases there is a degree of freedom to the data
designer,
which is not bad.

So I feel that WFS and WCS nicely coexist, augmented by the third companion,
metadata served by a CS-W.

I think this 'features vs. coverages' (or WFS vs. WCS) is an interesting
issue; I've seen a number of different, but not necessarily exclusive,
viewpoints:

1. Coverages and features are different...WFS and WCS evolved as two
distinct services to meet different requirements for accessing data and
metadata.

2. A coverage is a feature...features and coverages are different
'cross-sections' through the information - Simon Cox presents this
nicely by considering the information as tabular, with a row represents
a feature (a series of individual property values) and a column
representing a coverage (different values of the same property) - and
the WFS and WCS should be harmonised.

3. A feature is a coverage...coverages are already effectively being
encoded in GML for some WFS requests that need to return the variation
of a set of parameters over space/time (normally small data volumes);
again, this suggests that the WFS and WCS should be harmonised.

4. Coverage is a property of a feature... WCS is a convenience
interface, which should eventually replaced by an enhanced WFS, which
adds a GetCoverage request (or an OPeNDAP request!)

Personally, I think these are all true to some extent (not sure 3. above
is a good thing though!). However, which viewpoint you take determines
how you develop and implement these web services going forward (e.g. my
explicit 'conclusion' on 4. above!).

Regards,
Bruce