Re: [galeon] WCS CF-netCDF profile document

Hi all,

just a brief comment from my observations. I have had several talks with
INSPIRE team members and national voices. Some personal opinions
gathered seem to indicate that INSPIRE first went for WMS and WFS, and
in the next step raster (!) data will be considered; nobody thinks about
general meshes in the INSPIRE context for now. Mind you, the
overwhelming set of applications is mapping (ortho images, scanned maps,
and the like).

=46rom that background it is hard to see for me that the mapping
communities would go for netcdf. This is not meant to insult anybody or
to deny the clearly high importance (and expressiveness) of netcdf. But
these folks just as well have their traditional approaches which they
want to find again in the new standards.

Bottom line, WCS is going to move forward with one phase cycle behind
WFS/WMS. It is a hard way to achieve the vision of WCS, interoperability
across various coverage using communities, but I see WCS as the vehicle
to do this job. Problems would remain the same for any other approach as
well.

my $.02,
Peter

Lawrence, BN (Bryan) wrote:
Hi Folks

Like most, I'm watching this with interest.

I don't believe INSPIRE will mandate us to use WCS with SOAP, but if it
does, as already explained, that will apply to national infrastructure, not community infrastructure ... the line we are taking within NERC is that
we will support INSPIRE because it will improve our ability to do science,
both within our communities and between! If there really is a clash between these, there is no doubt that community expediency will win, with
only lip-service paid to compliance. However, if only one or two communities
are out on a limb, then they might well wither ...

So, from a technology point of view: What's more interesting for me is fusing metadata, with semantic subsetting (i.e by lat/lon etc not array index stride). It would appear that WCS provides that in a way that is more interoperable (although far from perfect)... but is stuffed by having to
deliver non-interoperable payloads (in that regard, from some perspective,
*all* parochial formats are non-interoperable). Opendap per se, doesn't
change that argument - although it might simplify the construction of useful WCS servers that exploit existing infrastructure (assuming netcdf clients). More useful IMHO are tools that describe coverages in useful ways so that clients and/or servers can work out whether they can map a coverage in one format to another that they understand as part of the user workflow. Hence without CSML, or the Unidata CDM, or some equivalent, I th
think we're all arguing about a form of interoperability that doesn't really
exist. Then, once we talk about coverages conforming to some data model,
we're really talking about features ... and feature servers can deliver
coverages. Me, while I think the WCS is temporarily important, it's not going to be important for long!

Bryan