Re: [galeon] Fwd: CDM feature and point types docs

Hi all,

As the person who chose to forward John Caron's message to the GALEON email
list, I want to take a run at putting this discussion into a GALEON context,
recalling that the N in GALEON stands for NetCDF.

To go back to GALEON 1, our first attempt to put serve netCDF datasets via a
standards-based protocol, we discovered problems due to limitations in the
protocol and other difficulties due to need for more carefully defined
conventions and encoding formats in the netCDF world.  These problems are
exacerbated in GALEON 2 as we attempt to define a path for serving a wider
range of "Fluid Earth Science" data via standards based protocols.

What I see in John's documents is an effort to work toward a solution
starting from the netCDF side while keeping clearly in mind the standard
protocol specifications.  It is a DRAFT first effort to specify how the most
common dataset types in the FES community can be encoded in netCDF with
appropriate required extensions to the CF conventions.  The attempt to
define the specifications in the language of the OGC standards world has
brought to light the fact that FES datasets span the realm of OGC Coverages,
Features, Observations and Measurements. And there is not yet complete
agreement among those realms.  (smile face here). One hopes this "vigorous"
discussion will lead to more clarity and coherence among those areas.

But, in the meantime and in parallel, it is important to continue John's
crucial work in laying out the specifications which will form the basis for
one form of binary encoding in which the datasets will be encoded so they
can be conveyed via a standard protocol.

My own preferred approach to grasping these issues is to focus on the
mechanisms by which location information is to be encoded.  These range from
geometric algorithms used for the output of a few  forecast models which
conform to the classic regular gridded coverage where the coordinates are
regularly spaced along a set of orthogonal axes to the opposite extreme of
lightning data where the coordinates are random in space and hence have to
be included explicitly with each data point.  In between there are the
station observations where the locations of the observations remain fixed in
space and can be encoded in an indexed table of observing station
information.  I believe the location information in the main FES data types
can all be encoded by specifying some combination of geometric algorithms,
table lookup, and explicit coordinates.  That's the perspective from which I
am viewing John's draft documents.  But that goes beyond the scope of an
email conversation so I'll see if I can make the ideas hang together is a
white paper of some sort.

-- Ben