Re: [awips2-users] Optimizing AWIPS 2 and LDM

  • To: Michael James <mjames@xxxxxxxx>, Brian Bernard <bbernard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [awips2-users] Optimizing AWIPS 2 and LDM
  • From: "Herbster, Christopher G." <herbstec@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 20:05:22 +0000
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:23
Hi folks,

We have tried to make a larger queue many times.  Whenever we then restart the
EDEX services we find that the queue has reverted back to the original LDM
queue size (as shown by regutil entry and actual queue file size).  Has anyone
been able to make this change “stick?”

We have installed the 15.1.2 release.  Here is a transcript of an attempt to
change the queue size that we just performed.

=================================

[root@hurricane ~]# edex stop
Stopping EDEX Camel (request):
Stopping EDEX Camel (ingest):
Stopping EDEX Camel (ingestGrib):
EDEX ingestGrib shutdown
EDEX request shutdown
Waiting for EDEX ingest to shutdown
[...]
EDEX ingest shutdown
Stopping QPID

Session terminated, killing shell... ...killed.
/awips2/tools/bin/edex: line 338: 32642 Terminated              su -c "service
qpidd stop"
Stopping httpd:
Stopping logging service:                                  [  OK  ]
Stopping EDEX PostgreSQL:
Stopping AWIPS II LDM:Stopping the LDM server...
Waiting for the LDM server to terminate...

[edex status]
postgres    :: not running
pypies      :: not running
qpid        :: not running
EDEXingest  :: not running
EDEXgrib    :: not running
EDEXrequest :: not running
ldmadmin    :: not running

[root@hurricane ~]# regutil /queue/size
1500M
[root@hurricane ~]# regutil -s "4096M" /queue/size
[root@hurricane ~]# regutil /queue/size
4096M
[root@hurricane ~]# edex start
Starting EDEX PostgreSQL:
Starting logging service:                                  [  OK  ]
Starting httpd: nohup: redirecting stderr to stdout
                                                           [  OK  ]
Starting QPID
QPID is running (PID   988)
Starting EDEX Camel (request):
Starting EDEX Camel (ingest):
Starting EDEX Camel (ingestGrib):
EDEX Camel (request) is running (wrapper PID 1240)
EDEX Camel (request) is running (java PID 1422)
EDEX Camel (ingestGrib) is running (wrapper PID 1238)
EDEX Camel (ingestGrib) is running (java PID 1328)
EDEX Camel (ingest) is running (wrapper PID 1239)
EDEX Camel (ingest) is running (java PID 1499)
Cleaning LDM:                                              [  OK  ]

Creating the ldm queue:                                       [  OK  ]
Starting AWIPS II LDM:The product-queue is OK.
Checking pqact(1) configuration-file(s)...
    /awips2/ldm/etc/pqact.conf: syntactically correct
Checking LDM configuration-file (/awips2/ldm/etc/ldmd.conf)...
Starting the LDM server...
[root@hurricane ~]# regutil /queue/size
1500M
[root@hurricane ~]#

As you can see, we used regutil to adjust the size, queried to confirm the
change, started the edex services and checked the queue size, only to find it
back to the 1500M default.  Where does this come from?

Any help is welcome!

Chris Herbster

--

Dr. Christopher G. Herbster