Re: [wcsplus] more on asynchronous response

NOTE: The wcsplus mailing list is no longer active. The list archives are made available for historical reasons.

All -- I found the discussion between Ethan & Paolo pretty interesting!
Thanks for putting it on the wcsplus list.

I have a couple of comments that I hope don't confuse the issues ...

1) You say:
Yes I think that if two users make the same request than the server=20
has to do the same processing twice. (Obviously a smart server could=20
recognize that the requests are the same and make use of a sort of=20
internal cache, but this is an implementation problem. By the way, it=20
is not easy to recognize that two requests are the same, in particular

due to the query string which is made of non-hierarchical parameters.
E.g. two requests could only differ for the parameters order.)

This is pretty easy to resolve; if you want to cache the response for
multiple usages I recommend creating an MD5 hash of the 'canonicalised'
request & using this as the key in a key-value-pair map; i.e. you use
the request hash to look up a previous response (if any). This is how
standard web-proxies (like the open source 'Squid' work - I think).
Issues are (1) how many requests to store, & (2) how do you know when
the cache expires.

2) You suggest a 202 Accept response to the asynchronous request ...
Another option is:
If you consider the 'transaction' created by the async request as a
resource (in the RESTful sense); one could CREATE the transaction
resource by POSTing a request. POST is the correct method; as you would
be creating a subordinate resource (of unknown ID) ... The server is
responsible for identifying the URI of the resource.
Given those assumptions, you could respond with a '201 Created' & use
the 'Location' response header to direct the client application to the
'status monitor' page ...

See: http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html

Quote:
"14.30 Location

The Location response-header field is used to redirect the recipient to
a location other than the Request-URI for completion of the request or
identification of a new resource. For 201 (Created) responses, the
Location is that of the new resource which was created by the request.
For 3xx responses, the location SHOULD indicate the server's preferred
URI for automatic redirection to the resource. The field value consists
of a single absolute URI.

      Location       =3D "Location" ":" absoluteURI

An example is:

      Location: http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/People.html

     Note: The Content-Location header field (section 14.14) differs
     from Location in that the Content-Location identifies the original
     location of the entity enclosed in the request. It is therefore
     possible for a response to contain header fields for both Location
     and Content-Location. Also see section 13.10 for cache
     requirements of some methods."

Cheers, Jeremy