From: wcsplus-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:wcsplus-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ben Domenico
Sent: 04 October 2007 16:29
To: wcsplus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [wcsplus] explanation of wcsplus initiative

Hi,

It's great to see that the active technical discussions on the wcsplus
email list.  But I'd like to make sure we have a concise clear
description of what we are up to.  My recollection is that the main
reasons expressed during the telecon were as follows:

-- WCS 1.1 is much more complex and difficult to implement than WCS 1.0

-- It appears that the WCS.RWG is developing a specification that will
be much different from WCS 1.1.   In particular it will have a base
specification that is relatively simple and a set of extensions

-- There are advantages to developing specifications through reference
implementations rather than deciding in committee on specifications and
then attempting to implement them in the field.

The approach this group is taking is to start with WCS 1.0
implementations and add the functionality needed to serve the datasets
embodied in the CDM scientific data types, ( or CSML scientific feature
types) discussed at the 2006 AGU meeting and the RAL features workshop.

Does that capture the key essence of what we are up to?  I'd like to get
some agreement on such a statement so we can let others know about it.
In particular, I think it's important to bring in the GMU team because
they are very active in both the WCS.RWG and in the practical
implementations.

Please go ahead and work this over, but let's try to come to some
agreement by the end of next week.

Also, if those of you on the wcsplus list know of others who have not
joined the list yet, please forward this message to them and encourage
them to join the list.

Thanks.
-- Ben