[visad] Missing Data and Memory Usage

Happy New Year, Y'all!

I'm working with trying to view some radar data in the IDV. Without getting into a great amount of detail, I seem to be taking a considerable memory hit with a data set that is about 75% "missing data" (i.e., a 90 degree sector scan, where the other 270 degrees are produced but set to "missing data"). We have the missing data flag set in our netCDF files and indeed those points are not being displayed. What I would like to know is whether those points marked as "missing data" are still held in memory. If so, we'll examine whether we can create a "uniform" sector scan for our data.

I'm guessing this is at the VisAD level, hence the post to this group.
Thanks a bunch!!

-kevin.

Kevin L. Manross           |  ** New Address **
CIMMS Research Associate   |     120 David L. Boren Bvd
NSSL : WRDD : SWAT         |     Rm 3923
<kevin.manross@xxxxxxxx>   |     405.325.6385
www.cimms.ou.edu/~kmanross |
"My opinions are my own and not representative of
CIMMS, NSSL, NOAA or any affiliates"