Re: Stereo Projection

Hi Bill-

Bill Hibbard wrote:
 Hi Don and Kevin,

  From our experiences, the thing we hear is "It's really cool,
  but can you get the GUI to be 3D in addition to the display?"

Here's a partial answer to that:

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~billh/VisGUI.html

Thanks for the reference.  I totally agree that having as much
of the data depiction manipulation in one place (i.e. the display)
is a good idea, but not always practical (thus your use of "partial").
It's the functions like "delete last", "fill", and "lines" in your
Figure 6 that are not always easy to do in the display and give the
user a familiar interface. Even the title bar of a JFrame is
unreadable in stereo (which is why we went to a full screen option
in the IDV).

But you could make buttons in VisAD and put them in the display by
creating shapes and having DirectManipulationRenderers associated
with them. ;-)

Don
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm