orthophoto over dem

Hi to everyone, I hope this list is active and I properly subscribed, I didn't
get any message
since I subscribed.

I have two questions to which I hope to find answers:

1) what is the actual development status of visad? The update status on
the webpage says Wed Feb 15 14:21:41 CST 2006, so I'm full of hope.

2) The real question: I'm trying to overlay a orthophoto over a dem, but
after a lot of struggling around and no luck I need some help. I'm
talking about maps in metric units and not degree.
Is there an example I possibly couldn't find to see how it is done
properly?
I browsed throught the documentation and the mailinglists, but wasn't
able to understand properly, also most of the posts are from 1999, so
I found some classes not to be there any more.
My last try was that to modify the ShadowImageFunctionTypeJ3D, but that
doesn't seem to be the right approach.

Can anyone help me please?
Any help greatly appreciated.

Andrea