visad server

  • Subject: visad server
  • From: ncubukcu <ncubukcu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 14:58:09 -0400
For last couple of months I have familiarized myself with visad basics and now I need to decide how to implement visad to visualize different meteorological data on a web site. I have a data server which will be the data source for all visad applications. The same server also has visad installed so it could be the visad server too.

First, I thought buffered images generated using display.getImage() (DisplayImplJ2D display) could do the work but this is just a snapshot. Visad could do much more than that so I decided not the go on this path.

The SocketSlaveDisplay server seems to be the way to go so I played with Test68 in examples directory which allows interactive visualization. My problem with this is that Test68 needs to be run interactively. I have to walk to the sever room and run test68 on the local display and come back to my desk and use the browser to see the display. Or, I will have to run X-win32 like utility to run Test68. Obviously this is not efficient way to do this so at this point I am open to any suggestions you might have. Can I use java servlets to create a visad interface?
thanks in advance
nihat