route planning in visad?

A gui I am working on will need an 'ocean-based route planning' feature. At the crudest level, this will mean clicking on some canvas to define 'waypoints', and joining the points to build a 'route' for some vehicle to follow. I expect the usual drag/drop features will be required. Maybe the user could identify (via some click gesture) two or more 'points' and have the app infer and show some properties of the 'route' between the points selected, e.g. distance, bearing etc

Would visad be a good candidate for this functionality? I have looked a bit at the DirectManipulationRenderers, but nothing further. I'm worried that it wont support any 'lines between the points'.

Has anyone any experience with this type of feature? I would very much like to use visad since the app as a whole would be an IDV like one.

Any comments appreciated.

Stuart Maclean