Re: Visad basics

while not quite the same, I had the need to display the dataset
corresponding to a picked point for 3D scatter plots.  This was easily
done using the below code which used a right mouse click to select the
data point of interest whose data values are thereafter displayed in a
popup JTable.

      // set up object picking for J3D plot
      if ( plotType.equalsIgnoreCase ( "scatter3D" ) ) {
        pmrJ3D = new PickManipulationRendererJ3D();
        dr     = plotObj.getDisplayImpl().getDisplayRenderer();
        dr.setPickThreshhold( pickThreshhold );

        //  add data ref using pick renderer to display
        try  {
          plotObj.getDisplayImpl().addReferences( pmrJ3D,
masterSplitPane.getDataRef() );

          plotObj.getDisplayImpl().addDisplayListener( new
DisplayListener(){
            public void displayChanged ( DisplayEvent e )
                    throws VisADException, RemoteException  {

              if ( e.getId () == DisplayEvent.MOUSE_RELEASED_RIGHT )  {
                int i = pmrJ3D.getCloseIndex();

                FlatField ff
(FlatField)masterSplitPane.getDataRef().getData();
                double[] pickedPt = ff.getValues( i );

                JOptionPane.showMessageDialog( parent,
                                               createPickedDesignPanel(
realType, pickedPt ),
                                               "Picked Design Point",

JOptionPane.PLAIN_MESSAGE,
                                               null );
                }
              }
            });
          }
        catch ( Exception e3 )  {
          e3.printStackTrace ();
          }
        }

  /**
   * Method createPickedDesignPanel creates JTable to display picked
data point
   */
  public JPanel createPickedDesignPanel ( RealType[] realType, double[]
pickedPt )  {

    String[][] data    = new String[pickedPt.length][2];
    String[]   colName = { new String("Parameter"), new String("Value")
};

    JPanel holderPanel = new JPanel();
    holderPanel.setLayout( new BorderLayout() );
    holderPanel.setBorder( new EmptyBorder( 5, 5, 5, 5 ) );

    for ( int k = 0; k < pickedPt.length; k++ ) {
      //resultsPanel.add( new JLabel( realType[k].getName() + ":  " +
String.valueOf( pickedPt[k] ) ) );
      data[k][0] = realType[k].getName();
      data[k][1] = String.valueOf( pickedPt[k] );
    }

    JTable table = new JTable( data, colName );
    holderPanel.add( table.getTableHeader(), BorderLayout.NORTH );
    holderPanel.add( table, BorderLayout.CENTER );

    return holderPanel;

    }