Re: VisAD isosurfaces with mapped values

We might think of extending your DataRenderer class and
over-riding makeContour() to grab information about the
range of values of the RealType you are mapping to RGB,
but unfortunately those values are already converted to
byte RGB values before the calls to makeContour().

However, it wouldn't take much code to compute the range
directly from the float[] arrays of values mapped to
IsoContour and RGB. Here's a fragment of the needed code
(note you need to repeat the 3-nested loops three times
with small modifications to deal with grid edges parallel
to the three axes):

  int nr, nc, nl; // sizes of 3-D grid
  float v[nr * nc * nl]; // grid values for RealType mapped to IsoSurface
  float c[nr * nc * nl]; // grid values for RealType mapped to RGB
  float viso; // iso-value
  float cmin = Float.MAX_VALUE;
  float cmax = -Float.MAX_VALUE;
  // this set of 3 nested loops only does this for edges
  // parallel to "l" axis - need similar sets of nested
  // loops for edges parallel to "r" and "c" axes
  for (int ir=0; ir<nr; ir++) {
    for (int ic=0; ic<nc; ic++) {
      for (int il=0; il<nl-1; il++) {
        // you can easily find more efficient code for the
        // next two statements - this is just for clarity
        int ia = ir + nr * (ic + nc * il);
        int ib = ir + nr * (ic + nc * (il + 1));
        float va = v[ia];
        float vb = v[ib];
        // does iso-surface intersect grid edge?
        if ((va < viso && viso < vb) ||
            (vb < viso && viso < va)) {
          // may need some logic here in case va = vb = viso
          float ab = (viso - va) / (vb - va);
          // value of c at intersection
          float cab = c[ia] + ab * (c[ib] - c[ia]);
          if (cab > cmax) cmax = cab;
          if (cab < cmin) cmin = cab;
        }
      }
    }
  }
  // after you do this for grid edges parallel to the "r"
  // and "c" axes, (cmin, cmax) should give the range of
  // values

You'd put this code in your application and pass (cmin, cmax)
to setRange() for your ScalarMap to RGB.