Creating a new vertical domain

Hi-

I have a field of potential temperature of the form:

(lat,lon,press) -> theta

and a corresponding field for altitude:

(lat,lon,press) -> altitude

What I'd like to have is a field of:

(lat,lon,theta) -> altitude

but where the theta values are at specific levels (e.g. every
5K between 280 and 320) so I can resample to a specific slice.
Basically, I'd like to take slices through the 3D theta volume,
getting the corresponding lat,lon and (interpolated) altitude
values at each lat,lon,press point on the theta temperature slice.

I tried just replacing press with theta and then creating a
new sampling set with my desired values, but it I got complaints
from Gridded3DSet about not the samples not being a valid grid.

Anyone have a suggestion on a different way to do this?

Thanks.

Don
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm
        "Time makes everyone interesting, even YOU!"