Re: Off screen finalization

Hi Santiago,

Thanks for the list of threads. None of them are VisAD
threads, but many of them belong to Java3D. Note Kevin
Rushforth, Sun's main Jav3D developer, has recently
addressed this issue at:

  http://javadesktop.org/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=37181

In one message, he describes the proper procedure for
stopping Java3D threads. We follow this procedure in
the destroy() method in visad.java3d.UniverseBuilderJ3D,
except that we have commmented out:

  view.attachViewPlatform(null);

because it was throwing a NullPointerException. That
situation may have changed with more recent Java3D
versions. Perhaps you or someone else with this
problem can experiment with our

  visad.java3d.UniverseBuilderJ3D.destroy()

method.

Note that in another recent message, Kevin says there
is a bug in Java3D that makes it impossible to stop
all Java3D threads. Until that bug is fixed, it may not
be possible to stop all Java3D threads without calling
System.exit().

If anyone experiments with our UniverseBuilderJ3D.destroy()
method, please let us know what you find. I will be
travelling until 6 Feb.