Re: On the nature of irregular sets

Hi Ugo,

Nice to hear from you.

For your Exceptions in DelaunayWatson and DelaunayFast,
all anyone could do would be to run under jdb or another
debugger and try to track down what is going on. I don't
have any specific idea about these, and doubt anyone else
does either. Probably best to stick with DelaunayClarkson.

Thanks for the image for your 'curtain-like artefacts'. You
are correct that they occur because the outline of your 2-D
Set of points is concave, not convex, but the Delaunay
algorithm fills in long thin edge triangles to make it convex.

The only thing I can think of is an ad hoc algorithm to detect
and remove triangles on the edge (i.e., with an edge not shared
with another triangle: look for -1 values in the Delaunay.Walk
array, I think) and such that that outer, unshared edge, is
very long compared with the triangle's shortest edge.

Such an algorithm would be generally useful, so if you wanted
to contribute it back as a (static?) method of Delaunay.java
that would be great. But I understand that you are in business
and may want to keep it proprietary.