On the nature of irregular sets

Hello everyone!

We're trying to use the visad Delaunay classes to triangulate some elevation data on-the-fly. I'm quite happy about the performance (at least on my machine ;-) but I've run into a few of problems and would like to clear the matter before carying on with development.

First, only DelaunayClarkson seems to work OK with my data. DelaunayWatson and DelaunayFast throw "java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 23320; at visad.DelaunayWatson.<init>(DelaunayWatson.java:190)
and "visad.SetException: Delaunay.finish_triang: error in triangulation!
   at visad.Delaunay.finish_triang(Delaunay.java:592)
   at visad.DelaunayFast.<init>(DelaunayFast.java:581)", respectively

Any ideas?

For this dataset we've 11560 points.

I've already tried the common hack for the irregular 2d sets (multiplying values by 1000 to spread them apart)...

The second problem concerns triangles on the edgdes of the dataset. Points very close together and on the edge are creating curtain-like artefacts. Is there a way to avoid that?

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,

Ugo

--
l a t / l o n  GmbH
Meckenheimer Allee 176          53115 Bonn, Germany