ColorControls and images

I've got a satellite pic to render which is an image. As such, the only visual scalarmap I can use is RGB. I want to display it in greyscale, but when I try to use initGreyWedge, nothing happens. I've got a code snippet below. When it executes I see the println of "Greyscale" but then there is no change.

Would you expect this to work?

Cheers,
-Tennessee

Code Snippet :

        if(scalarMap != null) {
            ColorControl cc = (ColorControl) scalarMap.getControl();

            if(mode == ColorConfigurable.GREYSCALE) {
                System.out.println("Greyscale");
                cc.initGreyWedge();
            }

            if(mode == ColorConfigurable.RGB) {