Performance

Greetings,

I have a question about performance and responsiveness that I'm not sure if it is a Java3D question or a VisAD question.

I have found that running my application on different computers with different hardware (specifically graphics cards) results in varied resposiveness to mouse inputs (DirectManipulationRendererJ3d is mainly used on a DisplayImplJ3D).

1) I have great response on my development computer running

- nVidia chip (? video RAM)
- 2.0 GHz processor (P4)
- 1.4 Gb RAM

2) Lousy responsiveness with:

- Matrox chip (? video RAM)
- 2.0 GHz processor (P4)
- 2 Gb RAM

3) Somewhat slower than 1) but much faster than 2) with

- nVidia chip (32 Mb video RAM)
- 700 MHz processor (P3)
- 64 Mb RAM

4) Lousy performance with:

- ATI Rage Mobility (8 Mb video RAM)
- 700 MHz processor (P3)
- 128 Mb RAM

To me it is obvious that the nVidia chip has the greatest responsiveness. My questions are:

Do most graphics cards do a decent job of rendering?

Have I simply not found the right drivers for the cards I'm having trouble with?

Is it better to use hardware (drivers) accelleration over software (DRI) rendering whenever possible?

And finally, has anyone had success running VisAD effectively (performance-wise) on a Matrox G450?

Many thanks!!

-kevin.

Kevin L. Manross        [KD5MYD] <><          (405)-366-0557
CIMMS Research Associate               kevin.manross@xxxxxxxx
[NSSL-WRDD/SWATN]           http://www.cimms.ou.edu/~kmanross

"My opinions are my own and not representative of CIMMS, NSSL,
 NOAA or any affiliates"