Possible XFree86-DRI solution and a different display problem

Greetings,

I ran into a problem after installing RedHat 9.0 on my machine. Whenever I executed a Java3D app., I would get the following message:

Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".

Ben Podoll asked about this in May of this year on this email list and I couldn't find a response to his question. I dug up a solution off of the nVidia discussion boards and this may affect those of you who plan on upgrading your linux OSes (which will likely include XFree86-4.3.0.-17 or greater) and have an nVidia video card.

The solution can be found here:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=9e63c09482c398a677e788e6e051881f&threadid=16084&highlight=XFree86DRI+missing

(Sorry that the link is so long.)

I have yet to incorporate this fix, as my IT guy is on leave today.

I noticed this error before but thought that it was simply an annoyance. However, 2 things made this a more serious issue.

1) I had been using DisplayImplJ2D for my image rendering and read on the VisAD email list that using the J3D version would be faster, so I implemented

display = new DisplayImplJ3D("TerrainDisplay", new TwoDDisplayRendererJ3D());

instead of display = new DisplayImplJ2D("TerrainDisplay");

I did not notice any improved performance particularly with the DirectManipulationRendererJ3D.

2) The more distinct issue was that when I would run my app using the J3D display listed above, it would crash my Xserver. I'm really hoping that this XFree86-DRI fix correct that issue, since the only change I made was switching from the J2D to the equivalent J3D classes

OK, enough with that ramble and onto another (shorter) one. About half the time when I load my app, I get what I call a "squat-bug". You can see an example here:

http://www.cimms.ou.edu/~kmanross/VCPRPE/squat-bug.gif

The image does not fill the VisAD display area (white square). The other half of the time it works correctly, filling the whole area. I'm not sure what is causing this, except that the rings, line and dots are created in a separate class than the terrain image.

I would be very grateful for any help on this and would be happy to provide some code if needed.

Thanks!

-kevin.

Kevin L. Manross        [KD5MYD]               (405)-366-0557
CIMMS Research Associate               kevin.manross@xxxxxxxx
[NSSL-WRDD/SWATN]           http://www.cimms.ou.edu/~kmanross

"My opinions are my own and not representative of CIMMS, NSSL,
 NOAA or any affiliates"