RE: ShadowFunctionOrSetType

Hi Michelle,

> (index) -> (Time, x, y, z, q1, q2, q3, q4)
> Time[fmt=HH:mm:ss], x, y, z, q1, q2, q3, q4
>
> Here is an example of a mapping that throws the exception with printout:
> "terminal LEGAL unimplemented: ShadowFunctionOrSetType.doTransform":
>
> index -> iso-contour
> q1 -> flow1radial
> q2 -> cyan
> q3 -> red
> q4 -> flow2Azimuth
> time -> value
> x -> Z offset
> y -> yellow
> z -> x offset

DataRenderers look for illegal combinations of MathType and
ScalarMaps. Default DataRenderers look for various patterns of
MathType and ScalarMaps that they know how to render - if they
cannot match a pattern but they are not illegal then you get
this 'LEGAL unimplemented' Exception. See
ShadowFunctionOrSetType.checkIndices() for the logic.

The specific reason you get this Exception is that you have a
ScalarMap 'index -> iso-contour' where index occurs in a
Function domain.

This question never comes up in a practical setting. If you
are interested in the theory of VisAD, then digging into the
code is really the wrong place. Start with my PhD thesis and
papers, then the Developer's Guide and DataRenderer tutorial.

> I was also wondering if there is a way in VisAD to find the number of
> input fields in a csv file. So in the email I sent earlier, there were 9
> input fields in the Visad mapping dialog box on the left column and I'm
> wondering how to determine that number.

When TextForm or any VisAD file adapter returns a Data
object, you can answer questions like this by analyzing the
MathType. See:

  http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~billh/guide.html#3.1.15

for a brief introduction to analyzing MathTypes.