RE: java syntax question

Hi,

Below is my own class called Go.java. I created an instance of
SpreadSheet.java called mySS but in the constructor of SpreadSheet, it uses
WIDTH_PERCENT and HEIGHT_PERCENT which are non-static variables. So when I
compiled it, I got the following error:

javac SpreadSheet.java
SpreadSheet.java:535: non-static variable WIDTH_PERCENT cannot be referenced
from a static context
    final SpreadSheet ss = new SpreadSheet(WIDTH_PERCENT, HEIGHT_PERCENT,
                                           ^
SpreadSheet.java:582: cannot reference WIDTH_PERCENT before supertype
constructor has been called
    this(WIDTH_PERCENT, HEIGHT_PERCENT, 2, 2, null, null,
         ^
2 errors

I'm not sure what the supertype constructor is that it's referring to
because the only class that WIDTH_PERCENT is used in is SpreadSheet.java.
What constructor are they talking about that needs to be called? Or is it a
problem with how I declared mySS to be static?

from SpreadSheet.java:

  public SpreadSheet() {
    this(WIDTH_PERCENT, HEIGHT_PERCENT, 2, 2, null, null,
      "VisAD SpreadSheet", null, true);
  }

My own Go.java:

public class Go {

        public static SpreadSheet mySS = new SpreadSheet();
        public static BasicSSCell myBasicSS = new BasicSSCell("myCell");

        //sets up default mappings when image is first loaded in.
        public static void setMappings() {

        System.out.println("In Go.java and setMappings()");
          ScalarMap Alt_rad = new ScalarMap(RealType.Altitude,
Display.Radius);
          ScalarMap Alt_green = new ScalarMap(RealType.Altitude,
Display.Green);
          ScalarMap Lat_blue = new ScalarMap(RealType.Latitude,
Display.Blue);
          ScalarMap Long_red = new ScalarMap(RealType.Longitude,
Display.Red);

          mySS.myMappings[0] = Alt_rad;
          mySS.myMappings[1] = Alt_green;
          mySS.myMappings[2] = Lat_blue;
          mySS.myMappings[3] = Long_red;

}

        //loads small.v5d into top left spreadsheet cell, called from
SpreadSheet.java
        public static void loadMyDataSet() throws VisADException,
RemoteException {

        try {
          System.out.println("In loadMyDataSet() and in try clause");
          mySS.myAutoDetect(false);

mySS.DisplayCells[0][0].addDataSource("D:\\visad\\data\\small.v5d",
BasicSSCell.URL_SOURCE);
          setMappings();
          myBasicSS.setMaps(mySS.myMappings);
        }
        catch (VisADException exc) {
        System.out.println("Could not load file small.v5d into the
SpreadSheet");
}
        catch (RemoteException exc) {
        System.out.println("Could not load file small.v5d into
spreadsheet");
        }
}

}

Michelle Kam           (408) 742-2881
Lockheed Martin Space Systems Co. SSM/ATC/MSIS
B/153 O/L922
1111 Lockheed Martin Way, Sunnyvale, CA 94089