RE: how to animate a large data set (fwd)

Tom forgot to CC visad-list on this.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 12:13:26 -0500
From: Tom Kunicki <tkunicki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 'Bill Hibbard' <billh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: how to animate a large data set

> Hi Chris,
>
> > Hi, I am trying to find an example of animating a rather large data
> > set. Specifically, I have a sequence of 480x480 images
> (about 1000) of
> > them, that I would like to animate. The simplest method I
> used was to
> > use the DataReference method setData() but it was a bit too slow.
> >
> > Then I tried to use a time field using the FieldImpl method
> along with
> > a setSample(); This quickly filled up memory, (I only could store
> > about 40 images).
> >
> > It seems that the more prudent method would be to generate
> the images,
> > store in a file (using some convenient VisAD friendly
> format) and then
> > read and display them.
> >

> > Does anyone have a snippet of code that may already do this?
> >
> > Also, is there any way to maybe save the animation sequence to a
> > sequence of jpegs or mpegs for later playback??
>
> I don't have code, but you could take your code to pass the
> images one by one to DataReference.setData(), and for each
> one call DisplayImpl.getImage(true) and save them to a
> sequence of JPEGS. Then you can use ImageMagick or xanim to
> combine those into an MPEG or other movie file.
>
> Good luck,
> Bill

Chris,

I've had good luck creating animation (quicktime or mpeg) in place using
visad and jmf.  I have to support non-techy users so image capture and
reconstruction is not an option.  The animation stream is encoded as
each new image arrives and memory usage is minimal...

In JMF the ControllerListener, DataSinkListener and PullBufferStream are
of interest.