AW: Re[2]: Linear3DSet

  • To: "'Marcel Schmittfull'" <marcel-sl@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: AW: Re[2]: Linear3DSet
  • From: Mathias Stümpert <atzes@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 20:03:34 +0200
Hi Marcel,

> Mmh...yes that's right. But how do f.e. computer games
> manage this problem? There are lots of games in which
> the player can move in a 3d environment with a really
> good resolution. And this is even possible with not so
> fast graphics cards.

The details in those games do not come from volume-rendering, e.g.
masses of polygons but from texture mapping, e.g. from bitmaps mapped to
a relatively small number of polygons. Since modern graphics cards are
optimized for texture mapping this method is relatively fast. Don't mix
this up with the setTextureEnable() of visad since this is not "real"
texture mapping. As far as I know visad does not support texture mapping
in the original sense. Please correct me Bill if this is not right.

Cheers, Mathias