Re: Problem 'make'ing VisAD due to HD5 libraries: Update: kind of works in linux

  • To: tsc <arsenius@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Problem 'make'ing VisAD due to HD5 libraries: Update: kind of works in linux
  • From: Bill Hibbard <billh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 18:14:40 -0600 (CST)
Hi Tim,

I think the guys in Madison (I'm in Melbourne for another week) are
looking into this a bit. But a few comments about your specific errors:

> ERRORS FOR MAKE:
> javac -J-mx64m *.java
> rmic -d /usr/local visad.RemoteActionImpl
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>    at 0x4027312c: java.lang.Throwable.Throwable() (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.3)
>    at 0x402660af: java.lang.Exception.Exception() (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.3)
>    at 0x402699b3: java.lang.RuntimeException.RuntimeException()
> (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.3)
>    at 0x402690a7: java.
>    at 0x402690a7: java.lang.NullPointerException.NullPointerException()
> (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.3)
>    at 0x40225547: _Jv_ThrowNullPointerException (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.3)
>    at 0x4032ba69: gnu.java.rmi.rmic.RMIC.sortExceptions(java.lang.Class[])
> (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.3)
> END ERRORS FOR MAKE

rmic throwing a NullPointerException must be a bug in rmic.
I've run this many times and never seen this NullPointerException.

> ERRORS FOR HD5 STUFFS IN MAKE:
> javac -J-mx64m *.java
> *** Building in data/hdfeos/hdfeosc
> make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/visad/data/hdfeos/hdfeosc'
> make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/local/visad/data/hdfeos/hdfeosc'
> make[4]: Entering directory `/usr/local/visad/data/hdfeos/hdfeosc'
> cc -fPIC -DPIC -c SWopenImp.c -I/usr/local/j2sdk14/include
> -I/usr/local/j2sdk14/include/linux -I. -I.
> SWopenImp.c:26:19: mfhdf.h: No such file or directory
> SWopenImp.c:27:23: HdfEosDef.h: No such file or directory
> END ERRORS FOR HD5

This probably indicates that you have not installed the HDF4 and
HDF-EOS libraries. As long as you don't need to read HDF-EOS files,
these messages are harmless. However, I just tried to install the
HDF4 and HDF-EOS libraries on a Linux machine in Melbourne, and
discovered that the installation procedures for these have changed
at NCSA and NASA/GSFC. At NSCA it was merely a changed ftp server
address that I was able to work around, but it looks like NASA is
no longer making HDF-EOS available as a binary library. I hope I
am wrong about this, and have asked the folks in Madison to look
into it.

But if you are no trying to read HDF-EOS files, this is no problem.

> ERRORS FOR SPREADSHEET:
>         at
> visad.ss.SpreadSheet.constructSpreadsheetCells(SpreadSheet.java:2880)
> at visad.ss.SpreadSheet.constructSpreadsheetCells(SpreadSheet.java:2865)
>   at visad.ss.SpreadSheet.<init>(SpreadSheet.java:1175)
>         at visad.ss.SpreadSheet.main(SpreadSheet.java:530)
> END SS ERRORS

Never seen this before. It may be related to the fact that
rmic also throws a NullPointerException on your machine.
Do you see this problem if you run the SpreadSheet from
visad.jar?