Re: 2d color table in VisAD

Hi Marcel,

I'm CC'ing the list because your question is of general
interest, and because technical questions should come to
visad-list.

The solution to Jay's problem was to use true color (with
three RealTypes mapped to Red, Green and Blue in the
display). A 2-D color table is really a pseudo color
technique. You could actually implement a true 2-D color
table for pseudo color, by defining two DisplayRealTypes
for the table indices, and a custom DataRenderer that
knows how to render them (including looking up colors in
a 2-D analog of ColorControl).

However, a much easier approach would be to define a
CellImpl whose doAction() method transforms a Data
object with MathType:

  (domain -> (index1, index2))

into a data object with MathType:

  (domain -> (r, g, b))

where domain may have any dimension, and there are
ScalarMaps of r, g and b to Red, Green and Blue. Of course,
values of index1 and index2 would be used as indices into
the 2-D color table. The CellImpl could include methods
for setting the table. The CellImpl would pass its output
data to the setData() method of a DataReference, which
would be linked to your DisplayImpl. The input data would
come from a second DataReference, linked to the CellImpl
via its adReference() method.