using shapes for markers in 2 dimensions

I need to place a "marker" on a 2D display (actually one created with
  theDisplay = new DisplayImplJ3D("thedisplay", new
TwoDDisplayRendererJ3D());)

I am attempting to use Display.Shape, defining, say, a square to mark my xy
point.  I'm only intending to put one shape on the plot. So for my marker
I'm doing something like FunctionType xy->mark, and I create an extremely
simple flat field with just one point: XY-> 1.0  I map mark to both
Display.Shape and Display.ShapeScale, and I map x and y to Display.x and
Display.y. I'm getting the square showing up in the right place, but I
can't figure out how to control its size (or even where it's size is coming
from). I would have thought since I define my square shape with a size of
2, and my data value is 1, that the mark would be of a size 2, but it's
not.

Also, I need the shape to show up *in front* of a surface I'm drawing, but
it's showing up behind it.
Any ideas?

Donna L. Gresh, Ph.D.
Optimization and Mathematical Software Group
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
(914) 945-2472
http://www.research.ibm.com/people/g/donnagresh
gresh@xxxxxxxxxx