Re: addReference error with latest visad.jar

Hi Charles,

> Now that we've got the correct path to java3d (thanks to several
> people who replied) I find that something that worked with the earlier
> visad.jar doesn't with the one we downloaded on Wednesday. Given
> a DisplayImpl D, a DataReference R and a ConstantMap C, a call to
> D.addReference(R,C) results in the following runtime error:
>
> java.lang.IllegalAccessError: try to access field
> visad.DataRenderer.enabled from class visad.java3d.RenderJ3D
> at visad.java3d.RenderJ3D.setLinks(RendererJ3D.java:104)
> at visad.java3d.DefaultRenderJ3D.setLinks(DefaultRendererJ3D.java:57)
> at visad.DisplayImpl.addReference(DisplayImpl.java:725)
> ..

This must be a problem with your JVM. I just ran Test41
successfully under JDK 1.4, and it calls D.addReference(R,C).
Furthermore, the Exception says that a class in visad.java3d
cannot access a protected variable (enabled) in a subclass
in another package. I couldn't find anything on the JDK 1.4
web pages about changing the meaning of protected (and Sun
would be crazy to make such a change). However, I have
changed 'enabled' to 'getEnabled()' which should work around
this possible problem in your JVM (since I was in the process
of doing a release anyways).

The new release includes Tom Rink's great new color-filled
contours. To see it, run Test37 and click the "fill" box on
the contour widget. Note this only works if a RealType is
mapped to both IsoContour and RGB (or RGBA).