2D-View Clipping

Hi Bill and others,

Maybe you remeber, I am using VisAD for creating some terrain like planes.
My current goal is to present the user a kind of 2D view. The user can
specify in my universum some planes parallel to the Java3D y-Axis, which
are clipping my terrain planes (I am using the ModelClip of Java3D). The
Viewing platform is placed along the
normal from the clipping plane, so that the user gets a view of a kind of
2D profile. Unfortunately the terrain planes are kind of 2D, they don't
have any thickness, so they are very hard to see in the profile view. Is
it possible to make the planes thicker. Or has Visad any methods for
really calculating the profile, so that I could create a LineArray?

I added a screenshot to my homepage:

http://www-ipf.bau-verm.uni-karlsruhe.de/Personen/hilbring/welcome.html

Just look for 2D-View.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Desiree

How do I create my planes:

RealType x = RealType.getRealType("x");
        RealType y = RealType.getRealType("y");
        RealType height = RealType.getRealType("height");
        try {
            RealTupleType xy = new RealTupleType(x, y);
            FunctionType terrain_type = new FunctionType(xy, height);
            Irregular2DSet set = new Irregular2DSet(xy,new float[][]
{eastValues,northValues});
{eastValues,northValues});
            FlatField terrain = new FlatField(terrain_type, set);
            terrain.setSamples(new float[][] {heightValues});
            double[] eastValuesIntpol = new double[eastValues.length+1];
            double[] northValuesIntpol = new double[northValues.length+1];
            for (int i=0;i<northValues.length;i++) {
                eastValuesIntpol[i]=eastValues[i];
                northValuesIntpol[i]=northValues[i];
                //System.out.println("eastValue"+eastValues[i]);
                //System.out.println("northValue"+northValues[i]);
            }

            display = new DisplayImplJ3D("display1");
            ScalarMap hoxmap = new ScalarMap(x, Display.XAxis);
            ScalarMap reymap = new ScalarMap(y, Display.YAxis);
            ScalarMap heightmap = new ScalarMap(height, Display.ZAxis);

            display.addMap(hoxmap);
            display.addMap(reymap);
            display.addMap(heightmap);

            hoxmap.setRange(-1.0, 1.0);
            reymap.setRange(-1.0, 1.0);
            heightmap.setRange(-1.0, 1.0);

            DataReferenceImpl data_ref = new
DataReferenceImpl("data_ref");
            data_ref.setData( terrain );
            renderer = new DefaultRendererJ3D();
            display.addReferences(renderer,data_ref);
            display.addDisplayListener(listener);
        }
        catch (VisADException ve) {
            System.out.println("VisAd TupleType Exception");
        }
        catch (RemoteException re) {
            System.out.println("RemoteExcpetion");
        }
    }

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Desiree Hilbring

Institut fuer Photogrammetrie und Fernerkundung
Universitaet Karlsruhe, Germany
email: hilbring@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
# 0721 6083676
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo