Re: Best performance using UnionSets

  • To: "Ciccero A. W. Zandoná" <cicero@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Best performance using UnionSets
  • From: Doug Lindholm <lind@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 16:39:33 -0600
Hi,

I am using this approach for maps. Mine have about 200 Gridded2DSets in
the UnionSet. I suspect more memory and maybe CPU would help. I'm
running with something like a dual 500MHz with 500MB RAM.

Doug

"Ciccero A. W. Zandoná" wrote:

> Hi VisAD Community:
>
> I have already asked something like this before, but this time I will
> try to give more information about my problem:
>
> I'm tring to plot a contour map inside a 2Ddisplay from a text file
> (more specific a .MIF file from the MapInfo software). My class is
> reading the polylines that are in the file and then creating
> Gridded2DSets for each one, then puting then on a Gridded2DSet array and
> then into a UnionSet.
>
> Just like the rivers.java example.
>
> Bill told me I should check how many GriddedSets I was creating but the
> number is about 400 and there are about 25000 points. I don't think this
> is so much.
>
> When I change from Gridded to Irregular2DSet, the application becomes
> very faster, but the Irregular2DSet can only plot points.
>
> I'm using a IBM-PC 300Mhz and Ram:128Mb running Windows 98.
>
> Please, somebody must have used maps on VisAD, and this can't be the way
> it is. I'm doing something wrong.
>
> Maybe I should use a FlatField but I dont know how.
>
> An aswer is very important in the moment. It can determine if I can use
> VisAD or not.
>
> Thanks Already
>
> Cicero Augusto Wollmann Zandoná
> cicero@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

| Doug Lindholm, Software Engineer          |  E-mail: lind@xxxxxxxx   |
| Research Applications Program             |   Phone: 303-497-8374    |
| National Center for Atmospheric Research  |                          |
| P.O. Box 3000                             |     There's no place     |
| Boulder, Colorado 80307-3000              |        like $HOME        |