Re: VisAD SS under Win2000 ?

My 2c worth....

"Hennessy, Mel E." wrote:

> Is it possible, without too much pain, to run VisAD Spreahsheet on a PC (1
> GHz
> Pentium 3) running Windows 2000 ?

Yes, that should work fine, but a couple of gotchas ....
1) there are problems with Windows 2000 and hardware acceleration when using
multiple monitors.
    A vendors blurb will say "supports hardware acceleration" and "supports
multiple monitors", but don't assume you can do both at once!
    The vendors tell us this is a Win 2000 limitation, but I'm no real expert
on this.
2) on the machine we tried (HP X class workstation), we had significant
problems with the OpenGL drivers (for an Appian Jeronimo 2000 card), and ended
up installing Java3D for DirectX instead of Java3D for OpenGL
3) for our application, the fonts under DirectX looked lousy, and I
specifically disabled hardware acceleration using DirectX for it to look
reasonable on screen.Performance was still acceptable though (but the graphics
performance was much better on Windows NT machines which did have hardware
acceleration).

> if so, whatever pointers etc. you can supply would be appreciated.
> if not, then is a HP workstation running HP-UX 11 an option ?

We have had problems with HP-UX 11... see
http://www.hp.com/products1/unix/java/infolibrary/prog_guide/java1_3/configuration.html

We have tried the documented fix, but to no avail, and are still looking for a
solution.

Cheers,

James