Re: newbie, MacOS X, and other woes.

Hi Dirk,

>    I just started using VisAd and have gone through the 2D examples by
> Ugo Taddei.  Well as much as I could considering...  The issue is
> that any time I am using more than one ScalarMap for a data set I get
> a bus error (read potential memory leak).  Now I can create more than
> one Map for a dataset but cannot .addMap() it <shrug>.  For example
> in the contour example:
>
>      tempIsoMap = new ScalarMap( data, Display.IsoContour );
>      tempRGBMap = new ScalarMap( data, Display.RGB );
>
> this works fine for:
>
>      display.addMap( latMap );
>      display.addMap( lonMap );
>
>      display.addMap( tempRGBMap );
>
> so I get a shaded map of my data that is good but I'd like contours
> instead.  If I use:
>
>      display.addMap( latMap );
>      display.addMap( lonMap );
>
>      display.addMap( tempIsoMap );
>      display.addMap( tempRGBMap );
>
>      <plus all the iso-contour bits as well>
>
> I get a "Bus error" which usually means a memory fault.  I even tried
> recompiling the classes but the same error occurs.
>
>    Does anyone have any suggestions, I am using MacOS X 10.0.4 and
> Java 3.1 DP2 by the way.
>
>    My main desire to use multiple maps with shading is so that I can
> use the .setRange() for topo data, blue hues for elevation below sea
> level and green hues above.  I could use an index map (a la GMT)
> instead I guess, but I have not learned enough of the VisAd to work
> that out yet.

Bus errors have to be bugs in the Mac OS X implementation
of Java. The worst you should be able to get from a bug in
Java code is an Exception or Error.

If you have access to a Solaris, Linux or (shudder) Windows
machine, try that. In the meantime, you might want to let
Apple know about the bug you found in their Java
implementation.