Re: ADDE and Java Web Start

Hi Ken-

> Ken Stephenson wrote:
>
> I'm having trouble accessing ADDE via Java Web Start.
>
> My application jars have been working with ADDE data without problems,
> but as soon as I launch them using Java Web Start, I receive the
> "Unknown Protocol" exception below.
>
> "edu.wisc.ssec.mcidas.adde.AddeException: Error opening connection:
> java.net.MalformedURLException: unknown protocol: adde"
>
> Has anyone else seen this, and has anyone else had success extracting
> ADDE data using Web Start?

We have not tried any applications that use ADDE under WebStart.  The
URL handling is done by loading in the handler for ADDE urls into
the system property that controls such things. The only thing I can
think of is that WebStart isn't allowing this property to be set.
I ran into this when trying to use ADDE URLs in applets since you
can't set system properties.

I'll try to cobble something together to test this here and talk
to our local WebStart expert, then get back to you.

Don
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm