RE(3): NoClassDefFoundError (no good news)

Hi David,

I've addressed some of your questions below.  I hope my suggestions are
helpful.

>I am wondering whether I need to separately point my path to each of the
>Java2d AND Java3d jar files or directories?  Or which, if only one.

You should not need to set your CLASSPATH to point to your Java3D jar
files explicitly.  You should not need to alter your PATH at all, except
perhaps to include your JDK 1.3 directory so that commands like "javac"
and "appletviewer" work properly.

>I am still not able to get anything to run except for running "java
>visad.ss.SpreadSheet" (works from any directory, better with "-mx256m
>-no3d").

If "java visad.ss.SpreadSheet" is working, then your CLASSPATH is at least
partially correct (you have either visad.jar or the parent directory of your
VisAD directory included), which is good.  If you are having trouble with the
examples in visad\examples, then you need to add "." to your CLASSPATH as
well.

>Incidentally, I noticed that the "HelloUniverse" example _does_ also come
>with visad [though I forwarded you the one I downloaded from Sun, if there's
>any difference.]

As far as I know, VisAD does not include any files named
"HelloUniverse.java".  I believe it does come with Java3D though.

>Speaking of downloads from Sun, the program "appletviewer" wasn't included
>in any of the three java versions I downloaded:
>j2re-1_3_0_02-win.exe

This is the JRE version of Java 1.3.  To get appletviewer, you have to
install the JDK version.  You can find it at:
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/download-windows.html

>java3d1_1_2-win32-opengl-sdk.exe
>java3d-1_2_1_01-win32-opengl-rt.exe.  [I downloaded
>java3d-1_2_1_01-win32-opengl-sdk.exe just now, but it's not there either.]

As far as Java3D goes, the file you want is the second on your list:
    java3d-1_2_1_01-win32-opengl-rt.exe
If you install Java3D into the same folder that you installed JDK 1.3, then
Java3D will work without any modifications to your CLASSPATH.

>C:\APPS\david\visad\visad\examples>appletviewer SimpleImage
>I/O exception while reading: \C:\APPS\david\visad\visad\examples\SimpleImage
>Make sure that SimpleImage is a file and is readable.

The appletviewer requires a *.html file argument.  None of the VisAD examples
will work with appletviewer without modification.  To run SimpleImage, try:
    java SimpleImage
from your visad\examples directory.  If you can't get Java3D working, you can
still test whether your VisAD installation is working with:
    java DisplayTest 38
from your visad\examples directory.

>I tried running the HelloUniverse application that apparently came with
>visad, with no success:

Try reinstalling JDK 1.3 and Java3D 1.2.1.  If you still have trouble, try
the DirectX version of Java3D (assuming you are not running Windows NT).

>C:\jdk1.2.1\visad>nmake -f MakeFile.WinNT compile
>.
>.
>.
>.
>tor.
>          sub_types.add( fieldRange );
>                       ^
>FieldImpl.java:1045: Method add(visad.Data) not found in class
>java.util.Vector.
>
>... [additional errors snipped]

These errors appear to indicate that you are attempting to compile VisAD
with JDK 1.1.  VisAD requires Java v1.2 or higher.

>P.S. Oh, and by the way, I can't get HelloUniverse to run in Internet
>Explorer (V5.00.2314.1003CO) either [error is "can't be instantiated],
>though it doesn't surprise me, as I don't think the plug-in is installed.

Don't even try to get a Java3D applet working in a web browser unless you
really know what you are doing. :-)  It is quite tricky.

>P.P.S. Is another possibility security controls (firewall/antivirus/etc.)
>stopping stuff?

A firewall might cause problems with VisAD's collaborative applications,
but should not prevent you from compiling and running stand-alone VisAD
applications, even those with Java3D.

Let the list know if you have any further questions or problems.

-Curtis