Re: Multiple Displays

Hi Jack,

> We are interested in driving multiple displays with Java3D on a Linux
> cluster like
> configuration. I thought of VisAD first and found the visad.collab and
> visad.cluster
> packages. Are there examples or extra docs on this?

As Dave says, the visad.collab package is aimed at linking
Displays on multple machines.

The visad.cluster package is aimed at displaying data that
are so large they need to be distributed across multiple
processors in a cluster.

Neither is designed to support multiple physical displays
connected to m,ultiple processors. Last week at NCSA I
spoke briefly with Steve Pietrowicz, author of NCSA
Portfolio and a Java3D expert, about this issue. The critical
issue is synchronizing Java3D displays in multiple machines,
and I'm not sure if anyone has tried. I understand that
NCSA is looking into the issue.

As of JDK 1.3, I undertand that Java supports multiple
physical displays form a single JVM, although I don't know
if anyone has used this to drive a multi-wall CAVE.

I will raise the issue with the Java3D folks at JavaOne
next week. And you may want to raise the issue on the Java3D
mailing list.